Winner of $758m lottery jackpot quits job
The winner of the biggest jackpot in North American history - $758.7m (£590m) - has come forward to collect her prize, lottery officials say.
Mother-of-two Mavis Wanczyk, 53, bought the ticket at a Chicopee, Massachusetts, petrol station.
The winner - whose lucky numbers were 6, 7, 16, 23 and 26, and 4 - told reporters she had already quit her job.
The biggest ever US Powerball jackpot was $1.6bn, although that was shared by three ticket holders in January 2016.
Massachusetts State Lottery told reporters the ticket in Wednesday night's draw had been validated.
"The first thing I want to do is just sit back and relax," said Ms Wanczyk, chewing gum.
"I had a pipe dream.. and it came true."
She told journalists she had picked her lucky numbers based on relatives' birthdays.
Ms Wanczyk said of her 32-year job at a medical centre: "I've called them and told them I will not be going back."
She added that she was "going to go hide in my bed".
Reporters asked if she had plans to treat herself to something nice, such as a fancy new car.
But Ms Wanczyk replied she just bought a new car less than a year ago, and now plans to pay it off in full.
One lottery officials described the woman as "your prototypical Massachusetts resident".
He added that she seems like "a hard-working individual" and "clearly she's excited".
The $50,000 prize awarded to the business that sells the winning numbers will be donated to charity, said Pride petrol station owner Bob Bolbuc.
The jackpot payout, which can be made in 29 yearly payments or a lump sum, is estimated to be about $443m after taxes.
Powerball Product Group chairman Charlie McIntyre said in a statement that six other tickets - sold in Connecticut, Illinois, Louisiana, New Mexico, Pennsylvania and the Virgin Islands - won $2m each.
Thirty-four other tickets across the US scooped $1m.
Massachusetts lottery officials initially said the jackpot ticket was sold at a convenience store in the Boston suburb of Watertown, but corrected the location on Thursday morning.
It is not clear how the error was made.
Odds of winning the jackpot are one in 292.2 million.
Published by GWS Online GH : 2017-08-25
Do you have News to share? Simply email us.
News Archive - Recent Articles
- WAEC WASSCE Timetable For July 20, 2020 Examinations Released
- NSS Releases Enrolment Codes For Prospective Final Year National Service Personnel For 2020/21
- NLA Officially Takes Over *959# Shortcode From Keed Ghana
- NLA Cautions Public Against Illegal Short Code And Activities Of Lotto Fraudsters
- Recruitment For Trained Nurses And Midwives To Commence - Ministry Of Health
- NLA Introduces New Channels For Staking Lotto In Locked-down Areas 6/4/2020
- WAEC's Decision To Close Down All Public And Private Schools Amid COVID-19 Is A Step In Right Direction
- NLA Ghana Introduces New E-lottery Games April 2020
- NLA 5/90 Draws And VAG Lotto Games On Hold Amid 2-weeks Coronavirus Lockdown
- National Service 2020/2021: Postings For 9,000 Nurses Released
¦ Page 1 ¦ Page 2 ¦ Page 3 ¦ Page 4 ¦ Page 5 ¦ Page 6 ¦ Page 7 ¦ Page 8 ¦ Page 9 ¦ Page 10 ¦ Page 11 ¦ Page 12 ¦ Page 13 ¦ Page 14 ¦ Page 15 ¦ Page 16 ¦ Page 17 ¦ Page 18 ¦ Page 19 ¦ Page 20 ¦ Page 21 ¦ Page 22 ¦ Page 23 ¦ Page 24 ¦ Page 25 ¦ Page 26 ¦ Page 27 ¦ Page 28 ¦ Page 29 ¦ Page 30 ¦ Page 31 ¦ Page 32 ¦ Page 33 ¦ Page 34 ¦ Page 35 ¦ Page 36 ¦ Page 37 ¦ Page 38 ¦ Page 39 ¦ Page 40 ¦
|Scripture Reading: Friday, 14 Aug 20|
|Coronavirus Live Tracker - Live Updates|
|List of Members Registered on GWS Online GH|