Gov't explains delays in stipends to scholarship students in China
The Ghana Scholarship Secretariat has insisted that it has paid over $78,000 to clear outstanding allowances owed Ghanaian students on government scholarships in China.
This is despite Ghanaian Government Scholarship Students in China saying they have not received their stipends over the past 12 months.
The students, numbering about 20, in a statement copied to Citi News said they have been left demoralized as the financial constraints threatened their academic work and possible graduation with their means of livelihood being at the mercy of friends.
In a Citi News interview however, the Director of the Ghana Scholarship Secretariat, Fuseini Lansah, said he was surprised by the developments; but added that his office could not be blamed for the delays in payment.
He explained that "during the first week of January, we called the bank of Ghana to transfer $78, 000 to cater for three months stipend for regular students, and the 9-month stipend for year-aboard Chinese language students. We have asked the mission to explain because we requested them to confirm receipt of the money and then give us expenditure returns after disbursement; but other missions have confirmed collecting the money."
"This thing about China came as a surprise. Sometimes it takes time for the money to reach them. So we have asked the mission to give as a clear situation" he added.
By: Delali Adogla-Bessa/citifmonline
Published by GWS Online GH : 2017-02-21
News Archive - Recent Articles
- Gov't Explains Delays In Stipends To Scholarship Students In China
- Gov't Has Abandoned Us - Scholarship Students In China Cry Over Stipends
- Hungary Offers More Scholarships To Ghanaian Students
- Glo Revives Popular Product Enabling Subscribers To Borrow Data Again
- KNUST Is Making Significant Strides In Drone Building
- Interior Ministry Moves To Rid Police Service Of 'criminals'
- I Will Sack You If Students Fail BECE/WASSCE - Minister Warns School Heads
- John Mahama's Official Residence And Office Request Withdrawal Letter
- Okudzeto Ablakwa Produces National Service Certificate?
- Sacked Police Recruit Commits Suicide
¦ Page 1 ¦ Page 2 ¦ Page 3 ¦ Page 4 ¦ Page 5 ¦ Page 6 ¦ Page 7 ¦ Page 8 ¦ Page 9 ¦ Page 10 ¦ Page 11 ¦ Page 12 ¦ Page 13 ¦ Page 14 ¦ Page 15 ¦ Page 16 ¦ Page 17 ¦ Page 18 ¦ Page 19 ¦ Page 20 ¦ Page 21 ¦ Page 22 ¦ Page 23 ¦ Page 24 ¦ Page 25 ¦ Page 26 ¦ Page 27 ¦ Page 28 ¦ Page 29 ¦ Page 30 ¦